I am a scholar of media & technology with a view toward influencing law and policy. I am an associate professor in the department of telecommunication at the University of Florida’s College of Journalism and Communications.
‘ll be speakingspoke on my new project, “Sonic Privacy,” for the Yale ISP Virtual Cyber Policy Series, at Noon, Friday, July 3, 2020.
- I spoke with Jonnie Penn and Michael Running Wolf in a panel, “On Data Ecologies and Sacred Data” on the Ethics, Society & Future of Work Stage at CogX 2020 [June 9, 2020].
- My colleagues Anna Chung, Dennis Jen, and Stephanie Nguyen launched our project “Let’s Talk Privacy” [June 2, 2020].
amparticipated ingin the AEF’s Visiting Professor Program [June 1 – 5].
will bewas a guest on the “Big if True” Webinar from the Shorenstein Center” [May 29, 2020].
will be speakingspoke with the Library Freedom Project [donate] on surveillance and community [April 27, 2020].
will be speakingspoke on the Sage Assembly Webinar, “Unintended consequences of good intentions in technology,” [March 30, 2020.]
will bewas on the “We Be Imagining” podcast from American Assembly, entitled, “When Surveillance goes Viral.” [March 19, 2020]
- I was named Associate Director of the Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project. [January 8, 2020]
- I was named a Trust Consortium Scholar through the University of Florida’s Trust in Media & Technology Initiative. [January 8, 2020]
will be speakingspoke at Data & Society for Databite No. 127, on “An Ecological Approach to Data Governance.” [Watch Here] [January 8, 2020]
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2019 I
will be atpresented at Stanford presentingduring both the HAI conference and the Digital Civil Society conference.
- October 17, 2019 I
will beparticipated ingin a convening with UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance at UCLA School of Law.
- September 20-21, 2019 I’
ll bewas in NYC for AI.Assembly.
- In 2019 I am a (non-resident) Fellow at the Stanford University Digital Civil Society Lab.
- I am currently a Faculty Associate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and an Affiliate of the Data & Society Research Institute.
- I am the Chair of the Communication Law & Policy Division of the International Communication Association.
recentlycompleted a 6-month term as a visiting researcher with Spotify Research where I worked with the Algorithmic Bias Squad.
I earned a PhD in mass communication and a JD at the University of Florida, and a BS in both Journalism and Afro-American Studies at the University of Wisconsin.
Contact: jmcnealy AT ufl DOT edu