I am a scholar of media & technology with a view toward influencing law and policy.
- I’ve been slacking on updating this page. Sorry, I guess.
- I’ll be participating in the University of Baltimore Law in Focus Discussion Series, “Misinformation, Disinformation and ‘Fake News,’ [Sept. 16, 2020].
- I participated in the Hypergiant AI Ethics Webinar, “Rethinking AI Ethics, Regulation & Policy,” [Sept. 10, 2020].
‘ll be speakingspoke on my new project, “Sonic Privacy,” for the Yale ISP Virtual Cyber Policy Series, at Noon, Friday,[July 3, 2020].
- I spoke with Jonnie Penn and Michael Running Wolf in a panel, “On Data Ecologies and Sacred Data” on the Ethics, Society & Future of Work Stage at CogX 2020 [June 9, 2020].
- My colleagues Anna Chung, Dennis Jen, and Stephanie Nguyen launched our project “Let’s Talk Privacy” [June 2, 2020].
amparticipated ingin the AEF’s Visiting Professor Program [June 1 – 5].
will bewas a guest on the “Big if True” Webinar from the Shorenstein Center” [May 29, 2020].
will be speakingspoke with the Library Freedom Project [donate] on surveillance and community [April 27, 2020].
will be speakingspoke on the Sage Assembly Webinar, “Unintended consequences of good intentions in technology,” [March 30, 2020.]
will bewas on the “We Be Imagining” podcast from American Assembly, entitled, “When Surveillance goes Viral.” [March 19, 2020]
- I was named Associate Director of the Marion B. Brechner First Amendment Project. [January 8, 2020]
- I was named a Trust Consortium Scholar through the University of Florida’s Trust in Media & Technology Initiative. [January 8, 2020]
will be speakingspoke at Data & Society for Databite No. 127, on “An Ecological Approach to Data Governance.” [Watch Here] [January 8, 2020]
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2019 I
will be atpresented at Stanford presentingduring both the HAI conference and the Digital Civil Society conference.
- October 17, 2019 I
will beparticipated ingin a convening with UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance at UCLA School of Law.
- September 20-21, 2019 I’
ll bewas in NYC for AI.Assembly.
- In 2019 I am a (non-resident) Fellow at the Stanford University Digital Civil Society Lab.
- I am currently a Faculty Associate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and an Affiliate of the Data & Society Research Institute.
- I am the Chair of the Communication Law & Policy Division of the International Communication Association.
recentlycompleted a 6-month term as a visiting researcher with Spotify Research where I worked with the Algorithmic Bias Squad.
I earned a PhD in mass communication and a JD at the University of Florida, and a BS in both Journalism and Afro-American Studies at the University of Wisconsin.
Contact: jmcnealy AT ufl DOT edu