I am a scholar of technology with a view toward influencing law and policy. I am an associate professor in the department of telecommunication at the University of Florida’s College of Journalism and Communications.
- Oct. 28 – Nov. 2, 2019 I will be at Stanford presenting during both the HAI conference and the Digital Civil Society conference.
- October 17, 2019 I will be participating in a convening with UN Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia and Related Intolerance at UCLA School of Law.
- September 20-21, 2019 I’ll be in NYC for AI.Assembly.
- In 2019 I am a (non-resident) Fellow at the Stanford University Digital Civil Society Lab.
- I am currently a Faculty Associate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University and an Affiliate of the Data & Society Research Institute.
- I am the Chair of the Communication Law & Policy Division of the International Communication Association.
- I recently completed a 6-month term as a visiting researcher with Spotify Research where I worked with the Algorithmic Bias Squad.
I earned a PhD in mass communication and a JD at the University of Florida, and a BS in both Journalism and Afro-American Studies at the University of Wisconsin.